The Annex - alternative to Tobago hotels
With the development of The Annex at Castara Retreats we are offering something different and alternative to Tobago hotels with this self-contained, air conditioned unit adjoining Birdsong and designed for two people seeking a spacious and stylish en suite bedroom but without kitchen and self-catering facilities. Our guests staying here are therefore people who, like those staying in other Tobago hotels, plan to not to self-cater and to eat out either in the village or of course in our restaurant at Castara Retreats.
For those renting The Annex separately, it is accessed via a private path from the driveway below. There is also the option for a family or group staying in Birdsong to also rent this additional space, hence providing them with a third en suite bedroom, and in which case there is an alternative entrance via a path at the side of Birdsong. Birdsong and The Annex do not overlook each another and the adjoining wall is fully soundproofed.
There are several features to The Annex that are a little different to our other accommodations at Castara Retreats and which make it comparable to the upper end of other Tobago hotels we highlight these below:
- Even as a very spacious en suite bedroom (16 x 16 feet or 5 x 5 meters), The Annex is smaller than our lodges and apartments and is consequently our most modestly priced accommodation.
- Guests are likely to eat out for most of their meals, either in the village or, of course, in our restaurant at Castara Retreats.
- We are installing a simple tea making area with small fridge, toaster, kettle and crockery and small sink. This allows guests to make a simple breakfast or lunch, but not hot dishes.
- Outside is a small open terrace with a nice view of the ocean and just enough space for two comfortable beach style chairs for those of us wishing to relax in the sun or star gaze at night.
- The Annex has air conditioning available, although for those of us who prefer not to use this, have this there is also the option to open the window and to let in the natural sounds of the ocean and dawn chorus. In this case you may wish to use the ventilation fan to create a little air movement at night.
The Annex is located on the hillside behind Birdsong Lodge, and with very good views of the ocean and the far side of Castara Bay. It is rented separately from Birdsong, and this creates a new option for clients seeking to enjoy the atmosphere and facilities at Castara Retreats within a more modest budget that compares very favourably with Tobago Hotels whilst offering excellent value given the luxurious standard of furnishing and a fabulous view from both inside and from the small private terrace outside.
The Annex has fine views of the ocean from the large queen size bed fitted with a top quality mosquito net on a purpose made frame. There is storage and hanging space in the fitted wardrobe as well as bedside tables and lamps, together with other lighting options to create ambient lighting to suit all moods. The floor is polished pitch pine and the walls and ceiling are boarded with either cedar or pine. The Annex has a spacious en suite shower room with large mirror and discrete spotlights. As with all the accommodations at Castara Retreats there is an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, security safe, and ventilation fan. Everything in the Annex is new and well appointed to the high standards that clients have come to expect of Castara Retreats or indeed of a luxury Tobago hotel.
The small car park at Castara Retreats is located below the Annex and this offers the quickest way to the beach in a four or five minute walk. For those of us looking for a high quality, air conditioned and modestly priced accommodation at Castara Retreats the Annex offers a wonderful alternative to Tobago hotels for your holiday in this quiet fishing village on this beautiful Caribbean island.
The Annex and its terrace outside are in close proximity to two apartments under construction and it is possible that that our clients staying here may overlook the workmen. To compensate for any possible intrusion or noise we are therefore offering a 15% discount on bookings up to 31st March 2014.