The Annex at Birdsong
We are creating three additional Tobago holiday accommodations at Castara Retreats with a new annex to Birdsong and two new self-catering apartments called Lime Tree 1 and Lime Tree 2, all located on the hillside between Coasthanger and Birdsong. Each has excellent ocean views. The first of these, the Annex will be completed in mid-November and will be ready for people to stay there from 20th December onwards. Lime Tree 1 & 2 will be completed by the end of February and ready for people to stay in mid March 2014. We are sufficiently advanced with the development of the Annex to now be ready to take bookings for stays from 20th December 2013 onwards. Photos will be available from late-November.
There are several features that are a little different to our other accommodations at Castara Retreats and we highlight these below:
- The Annex is a self-contained unit that adjoins Birdsong on its rear side and is designed for two people seeking a spacious bedroom with en-suite shower, but without a kitchen or self-catering facilities. Our guests staying here are therefore people who plan to eat out for most of their meals, either in the village or, of course, in our restaurant at Castara Retreats.
- We are installing a simple tea making area with small fridge, toaster, kettle and crockery and small sink. This allows guests to make a simple breakfast or lunch, but not hot dishes.
- The Annex is accessed via a private path and entrance door. There is also the option for a family or group staying in Birdsong to rent this additional space, and in which case there is an alternative access via a path at the side of Birdsong. Birdsong and The Annex do not overlook each another and are fully soundproofed to avoid any disturbance.
- Outside is a small open terrace with a nice view of the ocean and just enough space for two comfortable beach style chairs for those of us wishing to relax in the sun or star gaze at night. This outside terrace is 20 yards or so from Lime Tree 2 and in the first few weeks it is possible that that our clients staying here may overlook the workmen finishing these two new lodges. We do not expect this to be intrusive but just in case we are offering a 15% discount on any days up to 31st February 2014.
- The room has air conditioning, although for those of us who prefer not to have this there is also the option to open the window and to let in the natural sounds of the ocean and dawn chorus. In this case you may wish to use the ventilation fan to create a little air movement at night.
The Annex is a modestly price accommodation to add to our range of Tobago beach accommodation at Castara Retreats. It comprises a spacious bedroom measuring 16 x 16 feet located on the hillside behind Birdsong Lodge, and with very good views of the ocean and the far side of Castara Bay. The Annex is rented separately from Birdsong, and this creates a new option for clients seeking to enjoy the atmosphere and facilities at Castara Retreats within a more modest budget. This accommodation is more enclosed than some of the others and does not catch the breeze, and for this reason we have insulated the walls and ceiling to keep it cool during the day, with the addition of air-conditioning.
The Annex has fine views of the ocean from the large queen size bed fitted with a top quality mosquito net on a purpose made frame. There is storage and hanging space in the fitted wardrobe as well as bedside tables and lamps, together with other lighting options to create ambient lighting to suit all moods. The floor is polished pitched pine and the walls and ceiling are boarded with either cedar or pine. The Annex has a spacious en suite shower room with large mirror and discrete spotlights. As with all the accommodations at Castara Retreats there is an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, security safe, and ventilation fan. Everything in Annex is new and well appointed to the high standards that clients have come to expect of Castara Retreats.
The small car park at Castara Retreats is located below the Annex and this offers the quickest way to the beach in a four or five minute walk. For those of us looking for a high quality, air conditioned and modestly priced accommodation at Castara Retreats the Annex offers a wonderful option for your holiday in Tobago.